Please share with your Program Assessment Point people:
1. OAI contacts have been assigned for each program.
You can see the list: https://universityportfolio.wsu.edu/20082009/Lists/Liaisons/Liaison%20Council.aspx
If you click on the names, you will find more contact information, but if that fails, all OAI contacts can be reached at 5-1355.
No doubt this list will be changing. Please make changes or send them to me or Judy (email@example.com ) as they occur on your end.
2. Attached is the 3rd version of the rubric for assessing assessment and the corresponding template. The rubric has been rendered in three versions (not perfectly aligned in this draft just yet). There is the over view, the ‘digest’ version (by popular demand), and the expanded version, which we have found tends to produce better results though perhaps requires a greater initial investment.) We anticipate one more round of deep revision of the rubric and template following the activities associated with this release, but the principles will remain the same. We are also close to releasing a timeline and checklist, but anticipate that document merits discussion at our next meeting.
3. We strongly recommend you forward the blue below and encourage each of your teams to review the assessment process using the rubric to evaluate the mock report (Rocket Science) before submitting their spring assessment plans. We also recommend they consider their previous self-study reports in light of these criteria.
We also suggest that the assessment of assessment process be conducted synchronously in collaboration between your program assessment teams and their OAI contacts.
And we always welcome feedback but particularly at this juncture as we gear up for spring assessment.
Here is the link to the online Mock/Model Template-based report–Rocket Science. The process is the same as the one we did with Honors. If you log into this site, you will find the directions to guide you through the Rocket Science assessment process:
https://universityportfolio.wsu.edu/2009-2010/Pages/default.aspx [since retired]
Again, the process:
1. Read over the Assessment Criteria (you can download the revised rubric at the link above or read it online).
2. Read the Rocket Science self Study
3. Go through the online rubric and assign Rocket Science scores on each of the four dimensions of the rubric.
Meanwhile, we are also sharing this process statewide and with selective professional groups and have received very positive feedback. More on that when next we meet, but the upshot is transparency.
4. Finally, don’t forget the deadline for spring assessment plans. We need plans for spring assessment activity from all programs before December 18th, 2009. We will review (with the appropriate criteria of the rubric) and provide feedback for each plan as soon as possible but no later than early January. (The sooner we receive them, the sooner we can provide feedback.)
Dont hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns. And don’t forget the next Liaison Council meeting: December 4th at 1:00 in Lighty 403.
PS, some program points have asked for more models. A few from 2008 we can point to are here: https://teamsite.oue.wsu.edu/progeval/default.aspx
(follow ‘Assessment Highlights’ and the ‘case reports’ below the highlights)
Dr. Gary R. Brown, Director
The Office of Assessment and Innovation
Washington State University
509 335-1362 (fax)
attachment with original email a of a set beta (3)
- Rocket Science Self-Study 2 (2)grb norubric
- Rocket Science 2007 Assignment Assessment
- Rocket Science 2007 Course Evaluation Study
- Rocket Science 2008-09 Data Sources