The Cal State University system has been holding an internal series of webinars on ways to integrate and assess general education, including the use of ePortfolios, the VALUE rubrics, and themes like “sustainability.” By invitation we just presented a summary of the harvesting gradebook and beyond
Thursday, February 11, 2010
WSU does not have a centrally endorsed ePortfolio tool, and has been moving to view the web itself as an ePortfolio. You can read a summary of our (somewhat radical) thinking here: https://communitylearning.wordpress.com/2009/09/27/not-your-fathers-portfolio/
One of the challenges inherent in the strategy is how to manage assessment when student work is scattered across the Internet. To meet that challenge, we have been developing a tool called the “Harvesting Gradebook” that allows multiple reviewers, both inside and outside the institution, to give rubric-based feedback to learners wherever the learners’ work resides.
This “embedded assessment” approach has the advantage that it can be rolled up from program to college to university level for meaningful program review. WSU is piloting such a system for use in their NWCCU accreditation reporting. Their concept piece can be found here: https://communitylearning.wordpress.com/2009/09/21/from-student-feedback-to-university-accreditation/
In the effort to balance the tension between accountability and assessment, WSU is currently refining a rubric ( https://universityportfolio.wsu.edu/2009-2010/December%20Packet/Guide%20to%20Assessment%20(Expanded).pdf ) to provide formative feedback to academic programs about their assessment work.
WSU’s work is attempting to articulate, coordinate and be accountable for student learning outcomes across many scales within a diverse university setting.
- Powerpoint of the session Cal State 2.10 powerpoint
- Recording of the session (recording starts part-way in, has no audio) https://sas.elluminate.com/mr.jnlp?suid=M.91736C949DAD7E90CFD15911719FBB
- Previous webinar w/ rubric https://communitylearning.wordpress.com/2009/12/15/institutional-self-assessment-rubric/
- Student Embeddable Tool Demo http://teammagiccarpentersilverlighttest.blogspot.com/2010/02/in-retrospect.html
- Status of WSU’s Self Study Reviews https://universityportfolio.wsu.edu/2009-2010/Pages/dirdash.aspx